Take a trip through time
1923 - 1933: It All Began with Flexible Shafts for Attachable Tools
Christian Trumpf and two partners acquire Julius Geiger GmbH, a machine shop in Stuttgart. The company's first logo was based on its product: flexible shafts.
These were initially manufactured for dental and printing use. With the invention of the motor drive they were also produced and distributed for industrial purposes - for the machining of metal and wood.
Julius Geiger GmbH has 70 employees. Growth of the firm necessitates a move to larger production premises. In 1933 the company moves to the Stuttgart suburb of Weilimdorf.
1934-1949: Hand-Guided Machines for Simple Metal Fabrication
The company manufactures the first motor-driven hand shears (HSP 201) for cutting sheet metal. This results in an entire product range of electric shears.
The company is renamed “TRUMPF & Co., formerly Julius Geiger GmbH”.
TRUMPF has over 100 employees. During World War II, TRUMPF continues with the production of electric shears and flexible shafts. The production buildings remain undamaged.
Christian Trumpf decides to build a stationary nibbler, presented as the TRUMPF nibbler TAS.
Because of the new product range, TRUMPF changes its logo. The ›spade‹ logo is retained for over 30 years.
1950 - 1959: Stationary Machines Establish Themselves
The company has 145 employees and its sales now exceed the one-million mark. Stationary machines make the company gradually increase in size and go global.
TRUMPF is now present at international trade shows, thereby gaining a customer base overseas. TRUMPF stationary machines are sold all over the world, and soon necessitate the construction of a second production location.
Hugo Schwarz becomes a partner and the head of the company. He remains in charge of TRUMPF until 1987.
The company's second factory is opened in Hettingen, in the Swabian Jura.
TRUMPF patents the coordinate guidance system for metal sheets: This is the starting point for the numerical control that all machine tools will be operated with later.
This technological development solves the problem of manual metal guiding by the operator and enables ultra-precise nibbling (advanced punching) of right-angled blanks. The coordinate guide is the first step on the way towards a numerically controlled feed movement.
1960 - 1967: New Processes
TRUMPF is referred to by one magazine as the ›nibbling king‹. This reflects the activities and successes in that field. At first, nibbling was little used as a sheet metal fabrication method. TRUMPF noticed the advantages it held for the metalworking industry and realized them with its stationary copy and coordinate nibbling machines as well as with a series of electrically-operated handheld nibblers.
The company has 325 employees and achieves sales of DM 11 million. On his return from a stay in the USA Berthold Leibinger becomes head of construction at the company.
TRUMPF founds its first foreign company in Zug, Switzerland.
The Haas company and the Battelle Institute in Frankfurt research laser applications for manufacturing watch springs. Later on, in 1992, TRUMPF becomes a shareholder of HAAS-LASER.
In 1967 the firm has 440 employees and sales of DM 20 million.
1968 - 1977: The Success Story of Numerical Control
With the TRUMATIC 20, TRUMPF presents the first sheet metal fabrication machine with a numerical control system. It enables fully automatic work at the machine, right down to tool changes, for the very first time. All the information required to process sheet metal is stored on perforated computer tape. The TRUMATIC 20 causes a sensation at the 11th European Machine Tool Exhibition in Paris.
The company founds a U.S. subsidiary in Farmington, Connecticut. Today, Farmington has become the second-largest TRUMPF location worldwide, and the headquarters for the entire U.S. market.
Haas begins laser development in-house. The company builds its first solid-state laser.
In 1972, TRUMPF moves to Ditzingen. Production conditions and the traffic situation in Stuttgart-Weilimdorf are no longer suitable for a company of its size.
Berthold Leibinger and Hugo Schwarz buy Christian Trumpf’s shares and are sole shareholders.
800 employees are now working for TRUMPF. The company achieves sales of DM 73 million.
1978 - 1984: Combining the Existing with the New: Punching Machines with Lasers
The new chairman of the Managing Board at TRUMPF, Berthold Leibinger, returns from an information-gathering trip in the USA with a special piece of luggage: a 1 kW CO2 laser.
In the very same year TRUMPF founds its Japanese subsidiary in Yokohama, Japan.
TRUMPF enters laser processing. The company manufactures its first combination punching-laser machine, the TRUMATIC 180 LASERPRESS.
CO2 lasers with 500 and 700 watt output from the USA are the beam sources.
The 1000th TRUMATIC of the type TRUMATIC 300 is delivered.
The company has 1500 employees and sales of DM 300 million. In the same year TRUMPF receives a new logo. It is simple and matter-of-fact, symbolizing the company's solidity and its orientation towards the future.
1985 - 1995: TRUMPF Conquers the World of the Laser
TRUMPF decides to make its own CO2 laser. The TRUMPF LASER TLF 1000 is developed and manufactured. It has 1 kW of beam performance and is the first compact laser resonator with RF-excitation.
Haas Strahltechnik introduces the first laser light cable for industrial use. Its yellow color has remained the norm.
The HAAS business division Beam Technology becomes HAAS-LASER GmbH + Co. KG, an independent company.
TRUMPF introduces a further innovation in this field: the TRUMATIC L 3000, a flatbed laser cutting center with flying optics. The work piece is no longer moved, and the processing head ›flies‹ across the metal instead.
Innovations in laser development that follow within the next few years make it necessary to found a new company specializing in lasers, and TRUMPF Lasertechnik GmbH is formed.
At the European Machine Tool Exhibition EMO in Hanover, the first "folded" high performance laser is presented inside a TRUMATIC 240 LASERPRESS. It still is today's best-selling multikilowatt laser.
At the LASER trade show, HAAS-LASER presents its study for the first multikilowatt continuous wave solid-state laser suitable for industrial use.
TRUMPF's activities in the solid-state laser sector begin with its participation in the firm of Haas Laser GmbH in Schramberg. The company is now 100-percent owned by the TRUMPF Group.
The foundation Berthold Leibinger Stiftung is formed.
1996 - 2004: Tapping New Fields
Apart from consistent expansion of the product range in the area of sheet metal fabrication by integrating further methods such as bending in 1992 and tube machining in 1999, TRUMPF is also tapping totally new fields such as medical technology.
In all sectors, the company is pursuing intensive strategies of growth and innovation.
The company quietly celebrates its 75th anniversary. The orientation towards the future determines the company’s thinking and doing.
The expansion of its production capacity is a part of that. On November 20, 1998, a new laser factory is opened at the company's headquarters in Ditzingen – underlining TRUMPF's faith in Germany as a production location.
The disk laser greatly increases the performance potential of diode-pumped solid-state lasers. At the LASER trade show, TRUMPF unveils its first lab machine.
With a new holding structure, the company adapts to the requirements of globalization and internationalization. TRUMPF has 4,800 employees worldwide and achieves sales of 1 billion euros.
The laser cutting machine TRUMATIC L 3050 operates thick metal with highest cutting speeds.
Opening of the Sales and Service Center in Ditzingen, Germany.
The company presents as a world premiere the prototype of a new 4 kW disk laser. Due to the high beam quality this laser enables new applications like scanner welding.
2005 - today: New Management
On November 18, 2005, after 40 years leading the company, Professor Berthold Leibinger resigns from his position as president of the TRUMPF Group. He assumes the chairmanship of the supervisory board. Dr. Nicola Leibinger-Kammüller becomes new president of the Group.
The TruLaser 3030 NEW is as robust and reliable as its predecessor – but much more productive.
TRUMPF demonstrates the first highly brilliant multikilowatt industrial laser with high performance laser diodes as a direct beam source.
Opening of the machine tools development center and the laser technology center in Ditzingen.
The TruLaser 5030 fiber is presented at the international technology trade show for sheet metal processing “EuroBLECH 2010” in Hannover.
The new “work alliance” for the TRUMPF locations in Germany is presented.
At its core is a highly flexible working time model considering the employees’ specific needs in the different phases of their lives and allowing for more flexibility.
In 2010/11 TRUMPF has 8,546 employees and achieves sales of 2.02 billion euros.
This is equal to an increase of 51 percent.
Professor Berthold Leibinger retired as Chairman of the Supervisory Board of the TRUMPF Group as of December 31, 2012. Dr. Jürgen Hambrecht, former Chairman of the Supervisory Board of the BASF SE, was elected his successor by the Supervisory Board of the TRUMPF Group.